Advanced Blueprint Reading
This course develops blueprint reading skills and Building Code interpretation skills. The course focuses on plan reading for High Rise residential construction and similar non-wood frame type structures built of concrete and steel. Students should have intermediate plan-reading skills and familiarity with the Ontario Building Code. This course provides students with detailed information regarding reading and interpreting information found on Architectural and Structural drawings and specifications.
The learner will be able to:
- Read interpret and cross reference residential high rise construction drawings
- Floor Plans
- Schedules e.g. Column, Wall and Room, Window, and Door
- Shop drawings
- Read and interpret site plans for high rise buildings
- Make basic mathematical calculations as applied to building construction, estimating & layout
- Interpret information to assist with various building layout requirements
- Interpret information based on Ontario Building Code Requirements as applied to high rise construction
- Interpret symbols and abbreviations as found on drawings
- Analyze the structural components of high rise building systems in steel and concrete.
- Interpret and synthesize information regarding precast concrete systems
- Interpret and apply information regarding exterior wall systems including EIFS, Precast, Curtain Walls, Masonry and Steel Stud.
- Interpret and apply information found in specifications and construction notes
- Apply their role to a construction project while having a better understanding of the big picture regarding processes and organization including:
- Organizational structures
- Schedule processes
- Job roles
Prerequisite – Introduction to Blueprint Reading